Samsung ha dato il via quest’oggi al rilascio di Knox 2.0, versione rinnovata e migliorata della celebre suite di sicurezza ideata dal colosso coreano.
Con Knox 2.0 Samsung strizza maggiormente l’occhio al mondo delle imprese grazie ad un intero portfolio di prodotti:
- Knox Workspace: sotto questo nome vanno tutte le features – vecchie e nuove – che costituiscono il “cuore” di Knox (Secure Boot, Container etc.);
- Knox Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM): rappresenta la soluzione cloud-based per la gestione dei vari account e device da parte delle imprese;
- Knox Marketplace: una store attraverso il quale le imprese potranno ottenere applicazioni certificate e soluzioni appositamente studiate per Knox;
- Knox Customizations: sistema di customizzazione dei dispositivi in base alle esigenze delle imprese (maggiori info qui)
Knox EMM, Marketplace e Customizations rappresentano delle novità assolute mentre Workspace, come abbiamo già avuto modo di accennare, eredita le funzionalità di Knox 1.0, rispetto al quale aggiunge le seguenti features:
- Maggiore sicurezza per il kernel e le applicazioni grazie ad un sistema di monitoraggio real-time;
- Possibilità di autenticazione tramite sensore biometrico;
- Possibilità di installare tutte le applicazioni dal Play Store all’interno del Knox container;
Knox 2.0 è attualmente disponibile solo per il Samsung Galaxy S5 ma la compatibilità sarà estesa anche ad altri dispositivi nel corso dei prossimi mesi.
Allego di seguito il comunicato stampa ufficiale:
SEOUL, Korea – May 7, 2014 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, today announced the global availability of KNOX 2.0, the company’s end-to-end secure mobile platform designed to provide advanced data and privacy protection for enterprise users. It provides better support for IT departments looking for reassurance and convenience as they implement and manage their Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) strategies.
The Samsung KNOX platform is no longer one product but represents a portfolio of multiple products and services designed to better meet the rapidly evolving enterprise mobility needs of customers. As a result, the original product launched in 2013 as Samsung KNOX – the core security platform and app container –has now been renamed KNOX Workspace. Announced at MWC 2014, KNOX 2.0 includes KNOX Workspace, EMM, Marketplace and Customization. KNOX Workspace is currently available on the newly launched Samsung Galaxy S5, which can be activated by IT managers for later use. KNOX 2.0 will be available on other Samsung Galaxy devices through OS upgrades in the coming months. The MDM previously used with KNOX 1.0 is also fully compatible with KNOX 2.0. The workspace users of KNOX 1.0 will be automatically migrated to that of KNOX 2.0 with the OS upgrade.
“KNOX has been widely deployed by enterprises since it became first commercially available in the market in September 2013,” said JK Shin, President and CEO, Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “As a result of this rapid adoption, we needed to evolve the Samsung KNOX platform to directly address the ever-changing needs of the enterprise as we demonstrate our commitment to protect and respond to future enterprise mobility and security challenges.”
New and evolved features for the KNOX 2.0 platform include:
• Cutting-edge Core Platform Security: As it evolves to be the most secure Android platform, KNOX Workspace offers a series of core security enhancements to better protect device integrity from kernel to apps. These upgraded features include TrustZone-Protected Certificate Management, KNOX Key Store, Real-Time Protection for System Integrity, TrustZone-Protected ODE, Two-factor Biometric Authentication and the Enhanced Generic Framework of KNOX.
• Improved User Experience: KNOX Workspace provides an enhanced user experience with new features for its container for a more flexible approach for enterprise deployment.
ㅇThe KNOX container provides users with enhanced features such as support for all Android apps from the Google
Play Store, meaning there is no need to go through the app wrapping process for third-party apps.
ㅇThird-party container support provides a better policy control compared to the Native SE for Android, allowing the user
or IT manager to choose their preferred container.
ㅇSplit-Billing works with carriers to separately calculate the bills for personal-use apps and professional-use apps and
in turn bills the company for all enterprise or professional app use.
ㅇUniversal MDM Client (UMC) and Samsung Enterprise Gateway(SEG) make user enrollment process simpler than
before since the user profile is pre-registered to SEG by MDM servers.
• Expanding Ecosystem: In addition to the core features of KNOX 2.0, brought by KNOX Workspace, users will also enjoy access to two new cloud based services, KNOX EMM and KNOX Marketplace, and a customization service, KNOX Customization. These broaden the KNOX 2.0 customer base by catering specifically to SMBs.
ㅇKNOX EMM provides cloud-based Mobile Device Management and Identity and Access Management (SSO+Directory
service) with a rich set of IT policies to implement company guidelines.
ㅇKNOX Marketplace is one stop shop for SMBs to find, buy and use KNOX and enterprise cloud apps in a unified
ㅇKNOX Customization offers a groundbreaking way to create highly customized B2B solutions with off-the-shelf
hardware by providing either SDK or Binary to Systems Integrators(SI).
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of TVs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, cameras, home appliances, printers, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 286,000 people across 80 countries with annual sales of US$216.7 billion. To discover more, please visitwww.samsung.com.